Once you have purchased a domain name and hosting package, you need to properly manage the site in order to enjoy the ideal performance and deliver the best user experience. With your web hosting panel you can easily monitor and manage diverse aspects of your website and execute various administrative tasks. However, many clients fail to utilize the maximum potential of their hosting panel as they are not sure about the specific features of their hosting panel.
In this blog, we will discuss the major features, tools and terms of your hosting panel and their specific purposes:
Domain Name management
In this section you will find the specific functionalities for adding or managing the domain names you own. You will also find the provisions for creating/managing the desired subdomains.
Addon domains, as the name suggests, is the additional domain that can be added into your hosting panel account.
- These add-on domains can have their own dedicated digital real estate like website/email etc.
- Most of the reputed hosting panel offer add-on domain facilities to the clients to help them manage multiple sites without switching between different panels
These domains don’t have their own dedicated website. Clients may decide to use parked domains to redirect the visitors to the same site that is already associated with another domain name that they own.
Example of Parked domains
- Suppose, you already own sample.com as the primary domain (having its own website) and purchased two other names- samples.com and bestsamples.com.
- You may use the latter two domains for redirecting visitors to sample.com.
- In this case, samples.com and bestsamles.com are called parked domains.
Many website owners prefer to have a separate digital ecosystem to highlight the specific sections of their main website like forums, blogs, etc. Such purpose-specific websites generally have a separate, relevant prefix before the main domain separated by a dot to help the audience understand the purpose of the site.
Example of subdomains
- For instance, the name- Blog.ABCcorporation.com indicates that it contains the company blogs of ABCcorporation.com. Such domains are called subdomains.
Email management is another major functionality of your control panel allowing you to maintain the entire lifecycle of email accounts- right from creation and management to deletion.
- It allows you to streamline email monitoring and communication by automatically forwarding the incoming email to your regular mail account
- Besides, you can also control spam by configuring spam assassin or similarly strong anti-spamming software
- These are efficient software capable of performing content analysis, database filtration and blacklist checking for recognizing the spam messages and doing the needful.
With File management tools you can easily manage server files. It is especially useful for clients who don’t use any content management systems for updating their site content. For the better benefits, you can opt for FTP configuration for website updating and file transferring.
Metrics and logs
As the name suggests this feature allows you to monitor the vital stats and logs that indicate the health of your site.
- It is very important to have knowledge about the current status of vital stats like bandwidth, site traffic, error messages, and free space
- With this information, you can take proactive actions for assuring the smooth interruption-free performance and deliver the premium user experience to the visitors
Transport Layer Security (TLS)
Security is the vital part of your website as well as the site visitors. The reports show that data in transit attacks are registering high growth. Your hosting panel empowers you to secure your site:
- With the help of TLS/SSL manager of your hosting panel you can easily mask the critical business information like payment card details, login credentials and other information of business and clients
- For specific digital businesses it is even mandatory to set up TLS/SSL
, Database management for creating/managing simple databases in the backend for diverse web applications like content management, eCommerce apps.
Custom error messages
This feature can be used to define better, appealing and informative error messages in case a visitor tries to access a website page that no longer exists. It not only saves the visitors from getting annoyed but also suggests them the best substitute actions.
There are a number of specific functionalities and auditing tasks that you need to monitor on a regular basis like checking for broken links and backup scheduling. Remembering all such tasks and executing them manually is annoying and time-consuming.
- Custom cron jobs empower you to auto schedule such task right from your control panel ensure that your site is protected against the latest security/performance issues as per the current developments in the site while also helping you to save much of your time.
Web hosting panel allows you to manage different features of your site to deliver an optimized user experience to your site visitors. A hosting panel has a number of features to facilitate site management. In this blog, we have discussed the key features that you can generally found in a standard web hosting panel. It will allow you to better manage your website independently and efficiently.
Alisha is a content writer and director of operations. She writes for various industries like travel, wildlife, history, art, and of course technology! She works with B2B and B2C businesses providing digital marketing content that gains social media attention and increases their search engine visibility.