If you’re not growing in your career, you are not going anywhere. The same thought is applicable to an HR career.
Pursuing a certification can help HR professionals grow in their career by learning new skills, developing a new perspective, and be more strategic. Further, the industry’s leading certifications have been known to offer other more realistic and tangible benefits to certified HR professionals. The following are some benefits that certification offers –
- Better salary – A certified HR professional earns 31.6% more salary than non-certified HR professionals. This means if you have a certification, you are in a position to negotiate a higher salary than offered salary.
- Faster promotion – A PayScale report says a certified HR professional has better chances of promotion than HR professionals without certification.
- Skill development – Taking certification equips holders with in-demand skills that help in making more strategic decisions and performing the job more effectively.
- Faster career progression – Certified candidates are better aligned with business goals, which helps them to make informed decisions and move in a mutually beneficial direction.
Choosing the right HR certification
Broadly, HR certifications can be divided into two categories:
- Specialty certifications – These are technical certifications that help HR professionals develop a deeper understanding of niche HR functions. For instance, compensation & benefits, learning & development, diversity & inclusion are some areas in which a professional develop deeper understanding by taking a certification.
- Generalist certifications – These are professional certifications that demonstrate a professionals’ expertise in multiple areas of human resources.
Which certification should you choose?
The choice of certification will depend on the current role and future aspirations. Professionals who want to get better in their current role and aspire to continue to take on senior-level roles in the same HR function are better off with specialty certification. Generalist certifications are better for professionals who want to expand their roles and take on more challenging roles down the line in their careers.
6 Prominent HR certifications
Specialty HR certifications
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP)– This credential is offered by World at Work. Earning CCP equips candidates with essential knowledge of integrating compensation programs with business strategy, designing and administering base and variable pay programs that comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Certified Benefits Professional (CBP)- This certification is offered by World at Work.
This credential demonstrates the holder’s skills in strategy development, design, and administration of U.S. employee benefits programs.
- Certified Diversity & Inclusion Professional (CDP)- This certification is offered by the Institute for Diversity Certification. Taking this credential demonstrates that you possess the skills and ability to build and implement effective diversity programs that align with the goal of the organization.
Generalist HR certifications
- Global Professional in Human Resources (GPHR) – This credential is offered by the Human Resource Certification Institute. This certification is meant for senior and mid-level HR professionals who aspire to take global leadership roles. GPHR proves the holder’s adeptness in strategic HR management, global talent management and mobility, global compensation, and benefits.
- Global Talent Management Leader (GTML) – This certification is offered by the Talent Management Institute (TMI). GTML credential demonstrates the holder’s proficiency in talent-need analysis, strategic talent management, talent competence assessment, identification of high-performing talent, and managing leadership talent.
Professional who take this certification get access to learning material from the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.
- Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) – This certification is offered by Society for Human Resource Management and is meant for mid- and senior-level HR professionals who want to progress to higher ranks and lead HR function at organizations. SHRM-SCP is a highly valuable credential in the HR industry.