The process of thoroughly checking a software application to see whether the actual results match the required results and that the application is error-free is known as software testing. Testing can be done manually or using automated tools. Even when enterprises have an automated system, they opt for manual testing to ensure that the software application is free of defects and is delivering the expected results.
QA testers are different from developers, though some developers also provide the testing services. Many times, enterprises choose to outsource the testing services for high-quality output. Instead of maintaining an internal team with QA testers, enterprises either hire testers on a project-basis or outsource the task to experienced testers.
Many companies in the market provide independent QA testing services to enable enterprises to successfully launch their software applications on time. There are various types of QA services provided by companies.
- Automation Testing Services
- E-commerce Testing Services
- Manual Testing Services
- Mobile Testing Services
- Web Testing Services
- API Testing Services
- AR and VR Testing Services
- SaaS Testing Services
Software Testing Documentation is the documentation of artifacts created during or before the testing of the software.
It is a complete set of documents that allows the enterprises to record and describe in detail the test planning, design, execution, estimated time, effort, and money, test coverage, resource tracking, execution progress, and test results.
Testing is a formal activity and the process, from start to finish, is documented in detail. This document helps in reviewing the testing process and the software application. It helps enterprises to avoid repeating the mistakes of the previous project in the next one. The following are the different types of test documentation.
- Test Strategy: The test levels or types that would be executed for the project are documented in detail.
- Test Policy: A high-level document describing the methods, principles, and the testing goals of the enterprise is a test policy document.
- Test Scenario: An event of the software application that should be verified by one or more test cases are listed in the test scenario document.
- Test Plan: A comprehensive planning document that has the details about the approach, scope, schedule, and resources, etc. of the testing activities is known as a test plan.
- Test Data: The data related to the project that exists before the tests are executed is known as the test data.
- Test Case: The test case documentation is developed for the test scenario and includes a group of input values, expected execution pre and post conditions and results.
- Requirements Traceability: This document connects the requirements of the software application to the test cases.
- Defect Report: The documentation that reports the flaws in the software application when it fails during the various test processes is known as a defect report.
- Test Summary Report: The summary report is a high-level document that summarizes the testing activities and the results of the test.
Let us now take a look at the best practices that enterprises need to follow for the software testing documentation.
- Involving the QA team in the initial stage of the project so that the documentation process can be started simultaneously.
- The document has to be updated in parallel so that no information is left out or forgotten by the end of the project.
- Using version control will help in tracking and managing the documentation process with ease.
- All crucial elements should be documented so that the people involved (developers, technicians, shareholders, etc.) will have an idea about the software application.
- A standard template such as a word document or an excel sheet usually works well for testing documentation.
- All project-related documents should be stored in one location for easy access by every member involved in the project. A backup of the documents is also necessary.
Documenting the testing process has a lot of advantages for the enterprises and the professionals involved in the development and testing of the software application.
- Reduce and remove any unwanted uncertainties related to testing activities.
- Do away with the ambiguity that arises when handling multiple tasks and allotting them to different professionals.
- Can be used as a marketing strategy to show that the enterprise has taken every care in developing the software application. The QA testers can use it to show their dedication towards the job.
- Offer high-quality software products to customers within the stipulated time.
- Use the test document to set up and configure the program.
- Improve the transparency of the project. Make it easier to negotiate things between the enterprise and the company.
One aspect to remember is that the cost of test documentation could be high. Enterprises will have to find a way to balance the costs and create a test document.
Also read – how to delete a blank page in word