‘All educated employees of the company are perfectly skilled for the company’s and their individual growth’.
This is a myth that few organisations still believe in. Nurturing of employees on a regular basis is becoming important as technical skills and soft skills are in greater desire by employers.
With nurtured, I concern shaping them into well polished and skilled employees with regular training. The meticulous training that will help in the development of their skillset which is lacked for the company’s growth.
Not all employees are ready for the unpredicted challenges of the future of the company.
And as technology advances, the employees should be accordingly updated and acquainted with it too. This is where employee skill training intervenes.
As we all know well about the traditional hiring methods which were based on educational qualification, it’s important to know that those practices have been given up by the recruiters now. Even technology market leaders like Google, IBM and Apple prominently require skills rather any degree. The requirements are nowadays more inclined towards the substantial technical skills which should be calibrated and refined punctually from time-to-time and other soft skills like communication skills, creativity, emotional intelligence, mindfulness etc.
Modern technologies keep meddling with numerous industries and their consumer needs. But with changing time the companies would not want to quit the process of upskilling their staff just so the employees can still be considered a suitable fit tomorrow.
To sink into the skills that employees should be trained in making them better employees keep reading:
- Communication Skills– Communication skills involve listening, speaking, observing and empathising. “Imparting or exchanging information by speaking, writing, or using some other medium”, defines the Oxford Dictionary. A lot depends on this skill- more than you allow to depend. Being a strength it can help you overcome milestones, on the other hand, being a weakness it can make you lose it all. The way an employee communicates reveals an ample amount of information about their personality and business. Employees should better watch out and not reveal what shouldn’t be.
- Emotional intelligence– ‘Emotional Intelligence’ attributes to the strength of identifying and managing one’s own emotions, as well as the emotions of others. The ability to harness the emotions and apply them to tasks like problem-solving can be considered as one of all the skills required to be an Emotionally Intelligent employee or even a person, as being emotionally intelligent helps in personal and professional life, both. Showing intelligence with your vibrant and sometimes vague emotions is a very important skill as it helps in building a problem-solving attitude and being apt in decision making. Some companies have also included emotional intelligence tests into their application and interview processes, on the note of the theory that if someone is high in emotional intelligence they would make a better leader or coworker.
- Mindfulness– Mindfulness is the fundamental human strength to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overreacting or being confused by what’s going on around us. It is a natural process to be practised in our lives, though it is more readily available to us when we practice daily. Gaining this state at work is a half battle won for the employees as well as the company’s growth. The research presents it is also a reliable method to reduce stress, including work stress. Constantly flitting from one task to another, the quality of the employees’ work can be hampered. By practising mindfulness, solely arriving back to the present moment over and over again, employees can be trained to become more focused, which is beneficial again for both the parties.
- Creativity– Creativity is rather a simple definition but proves to be more obstinate to implement. Primarily, if your employee is a creative thinker, it means that they will come up with ideas that are completely unique. Creativity encourages employees to work with each other in a healthy and more productive manner. Better teamwork and team bonding, enhanced workplace intercommunication, improved sense to attract and retain good quality employees, increased staff morale, fun and happiness; and increased workplace problem solving and productivity. Creativity enhances the beauty of work making it fun and impactful cause there are creative and fresh minds involved rather a custom or conventional mind. If you can apply creative thinking to your everyday work life, you’ll find that not only will the day stop feeling like drudgery, but you’ll be unlocking more meaningful results.
- Adaptability– Truth to be faced for employees is that there are times at work when things keep changing and evolving, and you have to continue to learn how to roll with the punches. Adaptability in the workplace is when an employee can be flexible and have the ability to adapt to changing work conditions. An employee skilled in adaptability can work independently or work fine with a team too. Working in a group is helpful for employees to brainstorm thoughts and ideas or designing a unique product. If an employee is inflexible that will result in dissatisfaction regarding work in the mind of an employee, thus it plays a key role in an employee skillset. Today, employers seek employees who have adaptability skills in order to be able to achieve the goals of the organization. If your employees are adaptable they can definitely adapt to your company surroundings, people and work environment when required, depending on the situation.
- Stress management– Stress is the pressure or tension that is exerted on the human brain, which is likely to be increasing at workspace nowadays. It has the power to influence the morale of employees and hence their appearance in the workplace. By using good stress management skills employees can boost their employee morale which motivates and keeps them focused on their jobs as well as daily activity and performance. Using time management strategies and time tracking apps can also help employees minimize stress and perform better.
A demand that is formed amongst the companies for their employee skill training is widely held by various digital learning platforms that provide blended learning solutions. Blended learning and digital learning is growing more widespread, research has heeded a rapid rise in this method of training over the last year. Blended Learning has proven to be an effective combination of online learning and classroom learning. Many of the companies that adopt skill training for their employees prefer their staff to learn on-job rather than off-site training programmes. On-job digital learning programmes like blended learning program enables companies to train more people working across a large area, making it cost-effective and allowing for more comprehensive process density.