The approval of Epidiolex to treat multiple sclerosis by the FDA has been one of the revolutionary steps for marijuana, marking its progress in the field of medicine. Research and studies around the plant have been intense in the past decade. Following various successful results on its efficiency towards treating various chronic health conditions, the industry is starting to adopt cannabis-based treatments. Marijuana as a medicine has been a part of our culture until a few centuries ago. Its return to the world of medicine has been a remarkable journey and a miraculous turn of events for patients across the world.
Marijuana as a medicine is particularly fascinating in the case of diseases such as multiple sclerosis. The effect of the medication should extend to the various symptoms of the diseases that include pain, sparsity, tremors, bladder function, mental health conditions. By offering an optimized effect in all these areas, marijuana has made it into a mainstream drug for treating multiple sclerosis today. But how is this plant helping patients suffering from the condition?
The Chemicals Behind the Miracles
Marijuana constitutes of various chemicals which are responsible for the health benefits possible. The cannabinoids and terpenes are the reason behind the physical and chemical characteristics of the plant. Among the various cannabinoids is tetrahydrocannabinol, popularly known as THC. The chemical contributes to the psychoactive effects on the users, along with medicinal benefits. Another component of the plant is CBD or cannabidiol, a substance which does not have psychoactive effects. It mostly contributes to various health benefits possible from the plant.
Research shows that THC is the right choice of cannabinoid, for increasing appetite, to improve muscle control, as well as for reducing nausea. On the other hand, CBD can help control epileptic seizures and treat mental health conditions. It is also effective for reducing pain and inflammation. Cannabis seeds of various strains contain varying levels of these cannabinoids, which help in curing conditions such as multiple sclerosis and various symptoms related to the condition.
How can Cannabis Massage help Multiple Sclerosis?
- It can enhance muscle control: People who have multiple sclerosis go through extreme cases of muscle stiffness, which leads to discomfort. The spasms and pyramidal tone cause this effect in most patients. The disturbance caused by muscle control leaves the individual in a lot of pain and disturbs their mobility. The pain and discomfort could make carrying out everyday activities difficult, such as affecting the quality of sleep. While physical therapies have been applicable for individuals with such difficulties, the success and consistency of effectiveness of these have been quite low.
A study involving 572 Multiple sclerosis patients helps understand the effectiveness of cannabis for treating muscle stiffness. The patients were either offered oral marijuana extracts or subjected to placebo effects. The results show that users consuming cannabis extract showed better control of spasticity as compared to non-users. Another study conducted in Switzerland also indicates the efficiency of CBD oil used for reducing muscle spasticity.
Currently, methods such as massages are being used to treat muscle stiffness. Using CBD oil or cannabis oil in these massages can enhance the effectiveness of the treatment. The extracts can deliver the cannabinoid through receptors in the skin to your endocannabinoid system to increase muscle control and reduce discomfort.
- It can enable a better quality of sleep: One of the major problems faced by patients who have MS is the lack of quality of sleep. MS patients suffer from pain and discomfort regularly, which has a huge impact on their sleep quality. They also go through physical and emotional stress, which in turn affects their mental health and causes problems such as anxiety, insomnia, and depression.
The relaxing effects of cannabis are known to all. Cannabis has proven through multiple studies that it can help relax and calm the patients effectively and particularly help in improving their mental health. Certain strains of cannabis have intense and deeply relaxing effects on the users, which enables them to glide into a sound sleep. It gives them better energy to face the new day and eases their discomfort. High-quality products such as CBD oil Canada used for massages can stimulate the CB receptors in the skin. It can relax the entire body to help enjoy a sound sleep.
- It can help with brain inflammation management: People who have Multiple sclerosis, often have their immune system attacking the neurons, which are a protective feature in the brain. The attack causes inflammation and leads to the rapid degeneration of the cells in this region. This effect has an intense impact on the central nervous system affecting muscle control and cognitive abilities.
The powerful anti-inflammatory properties of cannabis are known to all. Cannabis oil massage can help deactivate the cytokine protein responsible for inflammation. Cannabis can also naturally enhance the health of the immune system to reduce the frequency of such attacks. Cannabis, especially in the form of hemp oil, is rich in CBD. It is brimming with Omega-3, Omega-6 fatty acids, and antioxidants that boost brain health and improve cell regeneration.
- It can aid in pain management: Apart from muscle stiffness and reducing control, muscle pain is a common symptom of Multiple sclerosis. Tingling, irritation, or itchy feeling in various parts of the body are common among MS patients. These symptoms tend to cause pain and discomfort. They can also interfere with regular body functions and influence quality of life.
Cannabis interacts with the CB receptors in the brain and influences the individual’s perception of pain. It helps users get relief from severe pain and associated discomfort. A study conducted at the University of Liverpool involved a trail with a group of 64 MS patients. The groups either received a mixture of CBD and THC in the form of mouth sprays or placebo. After four weeks of observation, the conclusion shows that the group receiving cannabis sprays showed elevated levels of pain management and better quality of sleep. Cannabis oil massage in various parts of the body can ease the pain and inflammation in the region and offer a long-term solution to naturally countering these symptoms.
- It can help in bladder problems: Bladder dysfunction and related problems are common among Multiple Sclerosis patients. A study conducted to understand the correlation between cannabis extracts and bladder health suggests that the use of oral marijuana extracts can help counter bladder dysfunction and related issues. The participants were offered an oral extract or placebo and observed for over ten weeks. The users consuming marijuana showed improved bladder health as compared to non-users.
Apart from these effects, cannabis can also be effective in treating tremors among Multiple sclerosis patients. Studies to support this claim are underway, and with more clinical evidence, it will be possible to get to a conclusive take on this benefit. The use of cannabis among Multiple sclerosis patients will give them a chance at a better lifestyle. It will offer benefits that improve the symptoms of their conditions without significant side effects.